Tuesday, 30 September 2008

Holdups, hassles ect continued

Sunday 13.09.08

The moorings at Clarence Dock are superb but after 2 days we had had enough of city life so with fully charged batteries & the charging problem solved (thanks Harry!) we were keen to get moving & Sunday morning saw us heading up towards the Leeds Liverpool.

Approaching the river lock - 1st lock on the Leeds & Liverpool

Negotiating The Office lock (no 2) The BW office is the stone building in the mid of the red brick.

After St Ann's Ings Lock is the Oddy 2 at which we were pleased to find a lock keeper as being newbies we had only ever done single locks. All fairly straightforward enough, Forge 3 & Newlay 3 were also manned by lock keepers making the whole process very easy.

Being Sunday there were quite a few walkers about & on the locks with no keeper & the swing bridges there was usually the offer of a hand, always welcome! Got chatting to Shaun & Mandy at Newlay locks, they are looking into getting a narrowboat so had lots of questions. I shall look forward to seeing you on the L&L one day!

We pressed on to Rodley & by 4pm had found a spot on the visitor moorings which are adjacent to the 'Rodley Barge' so once tied up we popped in to sample the real ale & to see if any food was on offer.
No food as they had stopped serving at 3pm so we had a swift half then popped across the road to the 'Owl'. Yes, they did food until 5pm ( it was 4.50!) yes, they did a veggie option - they couldn't have been more helpful, so at 5.15ish we sat down to veggie meatballs in tomato sauce with a selection of fresh vegetables. Just hit the spot after a busy days cruising!

Monday 15.09.08

Just a short trip up to Apperly Bridge, not much point in going any further as needed to be 'home' (seems silly as the boat is home) in Bluewater by Saturday pm & wanted to have a leisurley trip back.
We winded just past Calder Valley Marine & called in for some diesel (82p) & a spare cassette for the loo, something we thought was a good idea after being stuck in Ferrybridge with no sanitation station. I was also able to exchange the voucher from Isuzu for a spares/servicing kit which had received after sending off the warranty card.

We then moved a few yards & moored by the Harrogate Rd bridge so as to stock up on a few essentials at Sainsburys ( approx 1km - uphill!)
Once fully stocked we headed back towards Rodley & moored in a pleasant rural spot just after bridge 215 ( a bridge which is usually open to canal traffic & appears to be just used by cows on their way to being milked)

The hedgerows were laden with brambles so we enjoyed a few for dessert. A lovely spot, popular with runners & cyclists but still very peaceful.

Tuesday 16.09.08

A leisurely start today as we were only going back to Rodley - a matter of half a hour or so. Now what we did with the rest of the day I have no idea! I haven't written anything in the log apart from 'raining' so I assume we just lazed about, we were on holiday after all!

Wednesday 17.09.08

An early start as we wanted to get through Leeds to Lemonroyd, misty & chilly but dry.

Leaving the Forge 3

As we approached Leeds we were tempted back into Clarence Dock to moor up for an hour or two so we could nip to the Palace pub for lunch. And it was just as good as the 1st time, by 3pm we were on our way again.
Leeds Lock
Arriving at Lemonroyd at 6.15pm we found plenty of space on the visitor moorings, in fact we were the only visitors as the boat behind us was practically derelict & looked like it had been sunk at some point so no noisy neighbours!

nb Poppy on visitor moorings Lemonroyd

Thursday 18.09.08

Misty morning at Lemonroyd

We awoke to a misty morning which soon burnt off leaving behind a warm sunny day. Deciding to make the best of the sunshine we went for a walk crossing over the canal & followed a footpath which is part of the Trans Pennine Trail & is the result of a restoration scheme turning the former colliery site into attractive landscaped wetlands and woodlands.
Our route then took us into the village in a fruitless search for a newsagent, we did find a Post Office cum village shop but no Guardian (just sticky buns!)

So back to the boat for a spot of lunch & at 1.15pm we set off for Whitley Bridge arriving at 5.45pm.

Friday 19.09.08

We were not in any rush to get up & doing as we were only going to Pollington but awoke at 7 am to the boat violently rocking & smacking the pilings, looked out to see a commercial barge going past at some speed followed shortly by another 3 barges (!) & if you haven't seen one of these close up believe me they are big, luckily no damage done apart from loose pins.
Anyway it was a lovely sunny day so we got cracking & made the short trip to Pollington

Poppy in one of her favourite cruising spots

& enjoying the sunshine at Pollington

whilst Soona prefers to stay aboard

As we arrived at the visitor moorings nb Silas was just getting ready to move on after having a lazy morning. They have rented out their house & hope to cruise most of the system & in a year have done 600 miles - so could take some time !

We knew from a previous visit that the George & Dragon no longer do food so we decided to try the Kings Head but on arrival at the pub (at5pm) it was closed so back to the boat to raid the fridge.
It was a lovely evening & very pleasant sitting outside - until the midges started to bite !

Saturday 20.09.08

Another lazy start for our last day setting off at 10.30 am on yet another warm sunny day.
We arrived at Stainforth at 3pm & as we had planned to have our evening meal at the New Inn we lazed about for a couple of hours before enjoying a superb meal. This is an excellent canal side pub, real ale, great food & moorings in front of the beer garden.

Then it was just a short cruise back to Bluewater arriving back just as it was getting dark at 7.15.

So role on next spring when hopefully we will actually get to Skipton - it will be the 3rd try!

No comments:

Post a comment

Please feel free to comment or to just say hi!