Thursday, 5 June 2008

Out at last!

Can't believe it is Thursday already & I haven't updated the blog yet - life is so busy as a retiree!
Finally, last weekend the weather was set fair - for saturday anyway so we set off for our 1st proper trip.
Out of the marina, easy peasy- then to Thorne swing-foot- bridge which is electrically operated , all fine till end of operation when it refused to let me have my key back. Advised by passerby that this is a regular occurrence so rang BW who informed us that help would be a while as the engineer was attending a problem in Rotherham.
Mmm... so lets have a coffee while we wait but Mark couldn't resist having a fiddle and after much banging of gates retrieved the key so a quick call to cancel BW then on our way again.
I came across the blog of Martlett ( this week & the entry for 26th April describes the same problem. So nice to know it was nothing we did wrong it's just an awkward blighter!

Thorne lock /swing bridge were fairly easy & straightforward as electrically operated. Stopped in Stainforth at The New Inn for lunch, very pleasant & excellent sandwiches then onwards through Bramwith swing bridge.
Passed this family of ducks making good use of this abandoned tyre,
Bramwith Lock came up fairly swiftly - a proper lock requiring the use of a windlass & some pushing & shoving!
A nb was just about to enter so we went in together & a family who had just taken their boat through offered to do the work which we, as complete novices, were only too thankful for.
Just one mishap when our front got caught up on the front gate & removed some paint, ouch! Our helpers apologised, saying that they hadn't kept an eye on the front end & we realised when exiting the lock that our helpers boat was a cruiser, whilst very competent working the lock they obviously weren't used to the length of a narrow boat.
Neverthless we were very grateful for their assistance although I felt I had cheated somewhat!

We eventually moored up between Barnby Dun & Sandall Grove & enjoyed a peaceful evening with this cracking sunset.
Sunday dawned wet but undaunted we set off on the home run, stopping off at Barnby Dun to pick up the sunday papers by which time the rain had stopped.
On reaching Bramwith Lock no-one was about so we were able to manage it all by ourselves with no onlookers & no incidents. Rest of journey home past all too quickly & we were back onto our mooring by 3pm.
We have plans to head off towards Skipton at the end of June as Mark has a couple of weeks leave & I think we feel a bit more competent now.
Had a visit from Chris, the Canvas Man this morning to discuss the cratch. Decided to have a framed one rather than with a wooden board - he is hoping to have it all done in approx 4-5weeks so watch this space.
Okay, Time for cuppa as Big Brother starts in 10 minutes & yes it is an absolute load of tosh but I still end up watching it......

No comments:

Post a comment

Please feel free to comment or to just say hi!