Saturday 25 September 2010

Middlewich to Chester

 We are currently moored in Christleton just outside Chester, our journey from Middlewich was very pleasant with warm sunshine  & we stopped overnight in a couple of nice spots on the way.
 The best was near The Shady Oak with Beeston Castle looming large in the landscape so when we leave here tomorrow we are heading back there to spend a couple of days enjoying the countryside & maybe a walk up to the castle.

The old canal stables at Bunbury

just a great  view

Beeston Castle in the distance
                        

 Lengthman's hut 

Mark has a net book which is much easier on power usage  than my laptop so I did a bit of research, bit the bullet & am now typing this on a very cute (& small!) HP mini.

The only drawback is that there is no CD drive & I use some personal accounting software (Quicken) which I have used for years & have always been able to transfer via CD drive as I have upgrade PCs over the years.

I was considering getting an external optical drive, until I saw the price! Then a chap in Maplins said it's easy, just load files off CD onto a memory stick ( using laptop) then install on net book. Mmm, well not that easy, Mark tried for ages but no joy so I finally decided I will have to wean myself off Quicken - it is no longer supported in the UK anyway & my copy is 12 years old so I am now trying to get my head around Home Accountz, It's a 30 day free trial & I think it will take me that long to figure it out!

After the washout that was this summer I have finally persuaded Mark that we need a pram hood, even if we have it down most of the time for cruising it will be nice to have a choice & somewhere to store wet gear when we do moor up.
 I had a look at a few on other boats, emailed a few companies for quotes &  we've decided on Wilson's of Kinver, they replied promptly & have impressed me so far with their professionalism.  1st visit to measure up is on Monday but we are looking at 6 weeks or so before it's finished

  We weren't sure whether to moor in the basin in Chester so decided to moor in Christleton  for a night then go into town & check it out. Wednesday was warm & sunny & we had a lovely walk down the towpath into town, the basin seemed fine but we decided  we are quite happy were we are so we've stayed put. 

On Thursday we walked into town then got the bus to Cheshire Oaks Retail park as I wanted some new boots for winter which was a good as excuse as any for some retail therapy, I ended up with some fleecy lined waterproof snow boots so my feet should be warm & dry.

Yesterday we pottered around Chester for a while..





 Chester......
.


.....from up here on the wall

 ending up at Tesco for a big shop then a 10 minute bus ride back to the boat.

 I've been back into town today to the post office to send my laptop on it's way to it's new home with Hannah, it was very busy in town as it's the last race of the season at the Rondee, lots of people dressed to the nines, ladies in posh frocks & men looking very smart in suits. I also noticed that on nearly ever street corner the council have put portaloos ready for the hoards later when they get back into town, probably a little the worse for wear.

So whilst we've enjoyed our visit to Chester we are certainly looking forward to getting back in the countryside tomorrow.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment or to just say hi!