Monday, 21 March 2011

Kingswood Junction to Preston Bagot

Yesterday we were finally on the move again as the repairs at  lock 33 had been completed....
...though only just I think! Anyway we were able to get through easily enough.

NB Mr Bojangles presented us with a bit of an obstacle... 
 no-one aboard & the front pin had come loose, fortunately the rope had been threaded through the eye of the pin & was hanging off the bow so we soon had it sorted.
 The stern pin was also very loose so that was made as secure as possible with a few clouts from the lump hammer.

Smart new brick work on this bridge.

The other side.

We didn't really move far, just 3 miles or so but that did include 14 locks. Starting early, 7.30am, it was overcast & chilly but by mid morning the locks had warmed us up & the sun came out warming us up even more. 
We were moored up by 11.30 & after lunch had a walk into Henley in Arden to get some supplies. Mark had checked the map & found a path across the fields so we could avoid the busy main road although we did end up back at  the road for the last 1/2 mile or so. After getting the shopping & an ice cream we spotted a notice board with a plan of local footpaths so sorted a route for our return walk & try to avoid the road altogether. 
Hmm, well all I can say is next time I will take my GPS!  It was very pleasant, the sun shone, it was dry underfoot & lovely countryside, but we took a wrong turn somewhere & ended up walking far further than we should & still ended up back on the main road, which by that time I was pleased to see as at least we knew which way was up, so as to speak!! 

After the excitement of yesterday today has been more mundane, a bit of housework this morning & this afternoon I sanded the gang plank & gave it a coat of varnish. It has been warm & sunny & the cats have enjoyed being outside although Sid still needs to be on his lead as the road is close by. 

Apologies for the quality of the photos, my camera battery was flat so these were taken on my phone.

We are still moving slowly ( nothing new there!) as we don't want to get to Stratford upon Avon before next weekend because being our anniversary & my birthday we have booked to go to see King Lear at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre on the 28th. I'm really looking forward to it :)

Tomorrow we might trundle along to Wootton Wawen & spend a couple of days there.


  1. Hi there - I've been reading your blog and following your progress for ages... and know you've got cats... today was the first time I spotted sid on a lead...

    That's quite good to see as we're still in the planning stages of our escape to the cut but have been wondering how our cats would cope... especially as sox (the girl) is quite the explorer. Problem solved, keep her on a lead and she'll be safe. George on the other hand is too fat to wander off lol. Keep up the good work.

  2. Hi Quaysider, Just to say we have used a lead for Sid right from him being small( 1st harness was a ferrets!) & he is used to it & doesn't seem to mind - not sure how an older cat would take to it so maybe you need to start getting Sox used to it sooner rather than later!
    If we are somewhere that is safe & no trees (he runs straight up as high as he can go then is stuck) I let him free whilst we are outside to keep an eye & he is fine.
    Someone told me that once used to living on the boat cats will regard it as home no matter where the boat is which seems to be the case - but you might have to stay somewhere longer than intended when they go walkabout!! Good luck ;)

  3. This weekend.
    Happy Anniversary Julia and Mark
    Happy Birthday Julia.
    Hope you enjoy the King Lear.
    Greatly enjoying popping in now and again, reading of your adventures
    Brother John, Dawn and family.

  4. Hi John & Dawn
    Thanks for the good wishes & glad you enjoy the blog- may get to see you all this summer if we get that far south ;)


Please feel free to comment or to just say hi!